A group of seven people have died and two others are in coma on Monday after consuming diluted hand sanitizer which is much readily available during the pandemic. The incident happened on Saturday in a village in the Far East republic of Yakutia ,Russia and came to light in a statement published by Russian investigators which said a group of nine locals fell violently ill in the village of Tomtor after consuming diluted hand sanitiser that they had purchased at a local shop. The investigators claim to have found an unlabelled five litre canister at the scene. Tests of its contents revealed ingredients as 69% methanol which is actually an industrial alcohol,not the drinking type.
The first three victims reportedly died on the spot and six others were brought to hospital where four of them too died. Doctors are now fighting to save the lives of the remaining two a 38 yr old woman and a 32 yr old man who are currently in coma and on ventilators the health authorities confirmed today. However a criminal case has been launched over the two under “Infliction of death by negligence”. The health authorities in Yakutia have now banned the sale of methanol-based hand sanitizer.
The consumption of “alcohol substitutes” due to their cheap price is not uncommon in Russia’s rural regions. Lot of incidents have happened in the past where the people were affected seriously after consuming alcohol substitutes. Still the same story continues. Pathetic to realise people still don’t learn even when it’s not the first incident to happen.